I avoided a near disaster the other day when I upgraded WordPress. I nearly had a stroke when I upgraded and then went to look at the site, nothing but errors. I could not understand what had gone wrong.
I remembered I have Backup Buddy so I knew I would be ok. But my mistake was my computer was running slow, so I thought a reboot was in order. After the computer came back up, I went to login into my admin area of my blog, but even that page had errors all over the place.
I admit I started to panic. I had lost this site 3 times over the past 9 years and it is a pain to start over.
So where did I go wrong? First of all I did not have a recent offsite backup. Second, I should have tested the WordPress upgrade on my local host. But I was in a hurry and took shortcuts. Big mistake.
Luckily, I knew I had some options. I could Google the errors and try to figure them out. Or I could re-install and an older version of WordPress and upload the database.
I chose to Google the errors and see what the deal was. I found out the error had to do with ini_get_all being disabled by the host. The new version of WordPress, I assume, needs to have ini_get_all enabled. The article told me where I could find the issue and solve it. I needed to get into my php.ini file and enable ini_get_all.
Luckily I had that file in my public_html folder. Some host, I assume, don’t let you have that file. So I checked the file and enabled ini_get_all and all was saved.
The problem is most bloggers are not comfortable messing with files in the cPanel. So the best thing you can do is make sure you have daily backups created and stored off-site, like on your hard drive. This will save you a ton of headaches when things go wrong and at some point they will go wrong.